Scope of Position
Under the direct supervision of the Water Quality Manager, the Water Quality Technician is responsible for the daily monitoring and preventative maintenance of all water and filtration systems within animal and public areas.
Functions & Responsibilities
· Consult and coordinate with curatorial staff, veterinary staff and appropriate zookeepers and aquarists to achieve the highest quality of animal care through management of water quality.
· Operate, troubleshoot, maintain and repair life support and other public water systems.
· Must be Dive Certified to assist in cleaning the Zambezi Hippo Exhibit water feature.
· Conduct daily and weekly water quality tests and adding chemicals as appropriate.
· Inspect every pump room every day to determine the pump status and to correct any deficiencies that are found.
· Daily visual inspection of all water systems – address issues as necessary and/or escalate deficiencies found to WQ Manager in a timely manner.
· Assist with cleaning pools as directed.
· Assist with record keeping, communication and city work orders.
· May be asked to perform other related or non-related duties as assigned in order to achieve the goals and mission of the Zoo.
Other Duties & Responsibilities
The schedule may include weekdays, holidays and weekends and/or evenings.
Skills & Experience
Education & Experience
Education and /or Training
Bachelor’s degree, preferably in a science field and/or two to three years of experience in water quality operations. Experience with ozone equipment a plus.