The Diver is responsible for the day-to-day maintenance of aquatic animal exhibits and assists with the operation and maintenance of the aquatic animal life support systems (LSS). This position reports to the Dive Safety Officer.
Functions & Responsibilities
• Follow all policies and procedures of Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, Animal Care, and the Aquatic Sciences Department.
• Adhere to all federal and state guidelines, regulations, and laws.
• SCUBA dive in fresh and salt water pools and exhibits ranging from 45°F to 82°F for up to 4 hours per day.
• Operate all equipment associated with pool maintenance including but not limited to hydraulic pool scrubbers and pool vacuum systems.
• Maintain communication with Supervisors and other disciplines within the Aquatic Sciences and Animal Care Departments.
• Keep records and inventory.
• Assist in animal moves and transport operations.
• Assist in research projects.
• Basic operation of all life support systems (LSS) with some supervision.
• Supervised addition of chemicals to LSS.
• Perform basic mechanical, electrical, and plumbing repairs and preventative maintenance with supervision.
• Participate in the inter- and intra-departmental cross training program.
• Other duties as assigned.
Skills & Experience
Knowledge & Skills
• Must be able to read, write, and speak in English.
• Must be computer literate and have experience with all MS Office applications.
• Must be able to work 40 hours per week including days, nights, holidays, and weekends.
• Must be able to work with chemicals and follow MSDS.
Education & Experience
• Must possess a high school diploma or equivalent.
• Must be physically able to sit, stand, walk, duck, crawl, climb stairs and ladders, work at heights with fall protection, swim, and pass an annual physical exam and stress test.
• Must be able to lift up to 75 pounds.
• Must be able to work indoors and outdoors in all weather conditions.