Lead Life Support Systems Technician
Lead the Life Support Department in programming, operating, maintaining and monitoring all marine and freshwater aquatic life support systems including pumps, piping, filtration, disinfectant processes and control systems. Operates, maintains and repairs building plumbing and piping.
Functions & Responsibilities
• Diagnose and schedule repairs to Life Support Systems; including water filters, ozone generation and treatment, chlorine dosing equipment, UV sterilization, protein fractionators and associated computer controls.
• Works with LSS Manager, Facilities Manager, Curator of Life Sciences, and Veterinarian to establish and maintain environments conducive to the health and well-being of all animals within the WOW Collection.
• Ensure and verify that the LSS department is providing adequate amounts of prepared freshwater and saltwater is available for all animal enclosures.
• Responsible for updating, and scheduling the LSS preventative maintenance program, including monitoring all filtration systems and water parameters.
• Diagnose and schedule repair to pumps, filters, valves, and actuators.
• Responsible for verifying adequate equipment is available to perform repairs and maintenance for the Life Support Systems.
• Work closely with the Life Support Systems Manager and Facilities Manager to define standard operating procedures and operation sequences for LSS systems, plumbing and piping.
• Fabricate and maintain operational data logs on all water systems.
• Mentors and trains less experienced staff in all aspects of the Life Support Systems.
• Assist staff and visitors as needed in a pleasant, professional and courteous manner.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Skills & Experience
Knowledge & Skills
• Requires 3 years’ experience with large-scale aquatic life support and filtration systems in a zoo or aquarium setting.
• Must have a complete understanding of mechanical, chemical, and biological filtration as it applies to aquarium systems.
• Requires knowledge of automated controls, pneumatics, electro-mechanical and electro-optical devices and methods. Experience with RCK control systems required.
• Requires ability to read blueprints, schematic drawings, diagrams, P&ID’s and make necessary corrections and changes.
• Requires good computer and professional communication skills, and the ability to operate all required Microsoft office and building controls equipment. Experience with Trane systems preferred.
• Ability to lead a team or work alone.
• Ability to interact in a positive and timely manner with peripheral teams i.e. Animal education outreach programs, Life Sciences, Veterinary care, Water Quality, Outside Vendors, and Guests.
• Ability to work flexible hours, weekends, and holidays.
• Thorough knowledge of freshwater and saltwater chemistries.
• Basic plumbing, mechanical, and electrical skills.
• Basic swimming ability.
• Mental – Requires a high degree of attention, concentration, and attention to read and interpret designs, specifications, and schematic drawings.
• Physical. Requires walking/standing approximately 50% of time; sitting approximately 10% of time; lifting up to 80 lbs. approximately 20% of time; stooping, forward bending and crouching approximately 20% of time.
• Environmental – Requires capability of performing essential job functions in an outside environment unprotected from severe weather conditions, on construction sites where hazardous materials and activities generally require special precautions, in mechanical equipment rooms where spaces are small and tight, and in an office environment with climate-control and good lighting.
• Manual Dexterity – Requires ability to operate computers and other general office equipment, and to operate tools used for maintenance, construction and repair.
• Audible – Requires the ability to verbally communicate with employees, distributors, and technical professionals in person and via telephone.
• Visual – Requires the ability to operate office equipment including computers and read written instructions, blue prints and other documentation