Life Support Manager
Responsible for managing the Aquarium’s maintenance/life support team to support the operation, maintenance and repair of facilities and equipment associated with live animal habitats. Management and preventative maintenance of all life support system (LSS) equipment, including but not limited to pumps, sand filters, UV, ozone generators and other equipment that are critical to animal health.
Functions & Responsibilities
• Manage, support and supervise the maintenance and life support team.
• Manage activities to maintain positive representation to professional agencies, institutions and various committees.
• Keep protocols and procedures to be used in the operation and maintenance of LSS equipment up to date.
• Manage the preventative maintenance program of all LSS equipment.
• Schedule routine maintenance for all equipment.
• Assign preventative maintenance work orders to other LSS technicians.
• Purchase and maintain inventory of supplies and replacement equipment to ensure continued operations.
• Identify and record all maintenance performed to LSS equipment according to approved protocols and procedures.
• Identify problems and implement changes to system design and operation to ensure safety for guests, team and the animal collection.
• Ensure the safe installation, maintenance and operation of all LSS equipment, while maintaining the needs of animals in habitats and holding systems.
• Perform inspections, preventative maintenance, routine up-keep, cleaning and repair of all equipment.
• Understand water chemistry reports and their relationships to LSS.
• Supervise making seawater for marine systems.
• Monitor the Life Sciences inventory and departmental expenditure as it pertains to maintenance in order to reduce loss/waste, control costs and accurately communicate expenses.
• Maintain up-to-date electronic records on water quality, system maintenance and system checks.
• Manage emergencies to minimize damage, loss or injury to guests, team members, animals or company property.
• Perform general facility repair and maintenance.
• Assist in the preparation of daily and periodic reports for all Life Sciences Department activities.
• In collaboration with Guest Experience Department and the Aquarium Foundation, ensure habitats and programs engage, educate and entertain diverse audiences.
• Work closely with the Aquarium Foundation to ensure volunteers and educators provide exemplary guest service and engagement.
• Other duties as assigned.
Skills & Experience
Knowledge & Skills
• Seven+ years + in a similar position required.
• Three years + in a similar management role required.
• PADI Open Water or equivalent (or able to obtain within 90 days of employment) required.
• First Aid, CPR, Emergency O2, and AED certification required.
• Proficient in operating, maintaining, designing and building life support systems for marine and freshwater systems required.
• Knowledge and ability to adhere to OSHA standards and proper use of personal protective equipment in an aquarium environment required.
• Preferred certification – OSHA 10 for General Industry.
• Skilled in general construction, troubleshooting mechanical systems and the safe use of tools.
• Experience with Ozone generation, safety, handling and its use in aquariums is essential.
• Preferred certification – AALSO Operator Level II.
• Degree or relevant work experience required.
• Exceptional leadership skills and proven experience.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Experience managing departmental budgets.
• Strong listening, presentation and decision-making skills.
• Creative problem solver who thrives when presented with a challenge.
• Energetic and eager to tackle new projects and ideas.