Life Support Specialist
Maintain the highest standard of water quality for the animal collection of DZM.
Functions & Responsibilities
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Conduct inspections, preventive maintenance, and repair of LSS equipment.
• Monitor water quality and chemistry of aquatic exhibits.
• Understand and interpret water chemistry reports and results, and make recommendations for corrections as needed.
• Ability to troubleshoot and repair all systems and equipment.
• Ability to use control systems to monitor and record data.
• Maintain accurate system logs and records as needed.
• Recommend and maintain the stock of required spare parts, tools, and test instruments.
• Follow and maintain all safety policies and procedures.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Skills & Experience
Education & Experience
• Must have a high school diploma or GED. Candidates must have a minimum of two years’ experience operating and maintaining aquatic life support systems, a municipal water treatment plant, or a waste water treatment plant.
• Must have a CPO, an AALSO certification is preferred.
• Must have the ability to diagnose and repair LSS equipment including but not limited to ozone generators, pumps, heat exchangers, air compressors, fractionators, UV Sterilizers, control systems, chemical injection, and filtration systems.
• Must be proficient in the use of proper testing equipment, hand tools and shop equipment.
• Must be proficient in pipe fitting utilizing PVC, copper and polyethylene tubing.
• Strong demonstrated knowledge of water chemistry and monitoring in an aquarium environment.
• The position involves considerable physical exertion, such as regular climbing of ladders, lifting of heavy objects (up to 75 pounds) on a highly frequent basis and/or assuming awkward positions for long periods of time.
• Must have a valid Texas driver’s license and reliable transportation.
• Must be able to work nights, weekends, holiday, and have a flexible schedule.
• Selected candidates must complete a pre employment background check, drug screen, and TB test.
• While performing the duties employee is regularly exposed to wet or humid conditions; work near moving mechanical parts; work in high, precarious places; underground vaults; outdoor weather conditions. The employee can be exposed to fumes; airborne particles; moderate to loud noise levels.