Life Support Systems Technician
Perform daily Life Support functions including programming, operating, maintaining and monitoring all marine aquatic life support systems including pumps, piping, filtration, disinfectant processes and control systems.
Functions & Responsibilities
• Perform repairs to Life Support Systems; including water filters, ozone generation and treatment, chlorine dosing equipment, UV sterilization, protein fractionators and associated computer controls.
• Work with LSS Manager, Lead LSS and Husbandry department to establish and maintain environments conducive to the health and well-being of all animals within the Aquarium at the Boardwalk collection.
• Provide adequate amounts of prepared saltwater for all animal enclosures.
• Responsible for maintaining the LSS preventative maintenance program, including monitoring all filtration systems and water parameters.
• Repair pumps, filters, valves, and actuators as needed.
• Fabricate and maintain operational data logs on all water systems.
• Assist staff and visitors as needed in a pleasant, professional and courteous manner.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Skills & Experience
Knowledge & Skills
• Previous experience with large-scale aquatic life support and filtration systems in a zoo or aquarium setting preferred.
• Must have a general understanding of mechanical, chemical, and biological filtration as it applies to aquarium systems.
• Knowledge of automated controls, pneumatics, electro-mechanical and electrooptical devices and methods preferred.
• Ability to read blueprints, schematic drawings, diagrams, P&ID’s and make necessary corrections and changes preferred.
• Requires good computer and professional communication skills, and the ability to operate all required Microsoft office and building controls equipment.
• Ability to interact in a positive and timely manner with peripheral teams i.e. Animal Education programs, Life Sciences, Veterinary care, Water Quality, Outside Vendors, and Guests.
• Ability to work flexible hours, weekends, and holidays.
• Basic knowledge of saltwater chemistries.
• Basic plumbing, mechanical, and electrical skills.
• Basic swimming ability.
Education & Experience
Four-year college degree or two-year trade school degree is preferred.
• Mental – Requires a high degree of attention and concentration to read and interpret designs, specifications, and schematic drawings.
• Physical – Requires walking/standing approximately 50% of time; sitting approximately 20% of time; lifting up to 80 lbs. approximately 10% of time; stooping, forward bending and crouching approximately 20% of time.
• Environmental – Requires capability of performing essential job functions in an outside environment unprotected from severe weather conditions, on construction sites where hazardous materials and activities generally require special precautions, in mechanical equipment rooms where spaces are small and tight, and in an office environment with climate-control and good lighting.
• Manual Dexterity – Requires ability to operate computers and other general office equipment, and to operate tools used for maintenance, construction and repair.
• Audible – Requires the ability to verbally communicate with employees, distributors, and technical professionals in person and via telephone.
• Visual – Requires the ability to operate office equipment including computers and read written instructions, blue prints and other documentation
We are Kuvera Partners, a company focused on operating attractions in prime tourist markets. Our flagship attraction, Hollywood Wax Museum, has had friends and families across America making awesome memories for over 50 years. We credit our success and longevity to our strong core values. At Kuvera, we roll up our sleeves every day and Make it Fun for our teams so that they can Make it Fun for our guests. We take care of each other, and we never stop innovating. We offer the following:
• Paid vacation and sick time
• Affordable health, dental, and vision insurance-Company pays 80% cost of employee’s coverage
• Option to add family members to insurance
• Participation in professional industry organizations and ongoing education
• Uniform shirts and jackets
• Free tickets to the aquarium and Hollywood Wax Museum Entertainment Center for family and friends
• Free tickets to other area attractions for you and your family