Life Support Technician 1
Clearwater Marine Aquarium’s Life Support Technician 1 position will perform a variety of tasks as they relate to the operation, maintenance, and repair of all aquatic life support systems for the Clearwater Marine Aquarium. This is an entry level life support position that reports to the Water Quality Manager but may also help supervise volunteers and interns. CMA’s Life Support Operation requires 24/7 staffing. Positions are available for all shifts.
Functions & Responsibilities
-Responsible for daily maintenance of all LSS at the facility including our 1.5 million gallon marine mammal exhibit under construction.
-Perform regular mechanical and plumbing repairs and preventative maintenance on life support systems including but not limited to pump up to 25hp
-Ability to learn water chemistry
-Develop skills necessary to interpret water quality data and perform chemical additions or adjustments to LSS in order to provide proper habitat environment
-Maintain good communication within the Animal Care Department
-Assist Facilities Department when needed
-Record accurate records as related to LSS
-Be flexible to work any schedule including weekends, nights and holidays.
-Perform any duty as deemed necessary for the success for the department.
Skills & Experience
Knowledge & Skills
-Ability to work independently and in a team environment
-Must be proficient in computers and Microsoft office suit
-Automation experience desirable
Education & Experience
-Bachelor’s degree or technical degree in related field desirable
– Experience in aquarium or zoological Life Support Systems preferred
– Lift up to 50lbs to waist level – Frequently.
– Lift up to 20lbs to shoulders and above head – Frequently
– Walk/stand for long periods of time – Frequently
– Maneuver safely on uneven terrain or in tight spaces – Frequently
– Safely climb ladders when needed – Moderate Frequency
– Squat, bend, kneel, twist and reach – Frequently
– Reach above the shoulders – Frequently
– Push and pull larger equipment – Moderate Frequency
– Ability to respond to emergencies on an on-call basis.
– No impairment of sight, smell, hearing, touch, balance and agility of movement which might interfere with ability to work.
– Work outdoors in all weather conditions and adapt to changing weather – Frequently
– Work indoors, under cover without air conditioning or heat – Frequently