LSS Technician II
The Life Support Technician II is responsible for performing husbandry and life support duties and projects, including daily care and welfare of animals within the aquarium, daily maintenance of habitat and holding areas, and life support equipment operations. This position requires interaction with the public to provide information and interaction related to the aquarium’s animal collection. This position requires prior experience and advanced knowledge of animal care, as well as a positive team approach. This position will also have latitude to initiate and carry out new training proposals and behaviors, as well as assist with the training of new animal care staff and volunteers.
Functions & Responsibilities
• Undertake daily operations within the Animal Care Department to ensure highest level of safety, courtesy, education, efficiency and operational readiness at all times.
• Maintain positive representation to professional agencies, institutions and various committees.
• Ensure compliance with health and safety standards in accordance with local municipality, state and federal rules and regulations, and compliance with all company policy and procedure documents.
• Ensure animal care and habitats meet compliance of facility specific policies and procedures.
• Perform duties in order to reduce loss/waste, control costs and accurately communicate expenses.
• Proactively assist in the implementation of new habitats, habitat design, and educational/programming opportunities in order to maximize revenues through guest experience.
• Maintain up-to-date electronic records on animal health, water quality, system maintenance, system checks and stock reports.
• Monitor and identify animal health concerns, disease diagnosis and water quality concerns and communicate to the Directors, Animal Care Supervisor, and Veterinary staff any animal health concerns to develop and implement a care and treatment plan.
• Assist in emergency situations to minimize damage, loss or injury to guests, team members, animals or company property.
• Work closely with the Guest Experience Team to provide exemplary guest service and engagement.
• Secure and maintain inventory of supplies and back-up equipment to ensure continued operations.
• Identify and record all maintenance performed to LSS equipment according to approved protocols and procedures.
• Identify problems with and implement changes to system design and operation to ensure safety for guests, staff and the animal collection.
• Ensure the safe installation, maintenance and operation of all LSS equipment, while maintaining the needs of the animals in exhibits and holding systems.
• Perform inspections, preventative maintenance, routine up-keep, cleaning and repair of all equipment.
• Work in conjunction with Aquarists to ensure proper water chemistry and conditions exist for the living collection.
• Assist in general facility repair and maintenance as needed.
• Manage emergency situations to minimize damage, loss or injury to guests, team members, animals or company property.
• Other duties as assigned.
Skills & Experience
Knowledge & Skills
• Three years + experience with animal husbandry required.
• PADI Rescue Diver or equivalent preferred.
• First Aid, Emergency O2, and AED certification preferred.
• Degree in wildlife/marine biology or relevant work experience required.
• Background in fresh and saltwater aquariums, reptiles, amphibians, birds or small mammals required.
• Experience in the care of flora and fauna in a public aquarium setting preferred.
• Competency with Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
• Good verbal and written communication skills.
• Strong listening, presentation and decision-making skills.