Rides Maintenance Worker
Primarily performs general and preventative maintenance and inspections on all amusement rides, water rides and features, and attractions at Columbus Zoological Park Association properties.
Functions & Responsibilities
• Performs general and preventative maintenance and inspections on amusement rides, water rides and features, and attractions.
• Implements preventative maintenance programs based on the manufacturer’s requirements and best practices for all amusement rides, water rides and features, and attractions.
• Performs daily ride, slide, and pool inspections and any necessary repairs for the safe operation of the rides and attractions including regular water quality inspections of all pools within Zoombezi Bay
• Completes routine daily, weekly, monthly, annual required/recommended maintenance schedules as required.
• Ensures that manufacturers’ maintenance and repair bulletins are completed and recorded in the equipment logs.
• Become familiar with and understand the “Laws and Rules Governing Amusement Rides in Ohio” published by the Ohio Department of Agriculture, Amusement Ride Safety Division pursuant to work assignment.
• Read, review and understand the rides’ and attractions’ manufacturer’s operation and maintenance manuals.
• Records all maintenance, inspections and repair activity in the appropriate equipment log.
• Operates motorized vehicles and specialized equipment related to job assignments and is responsible for attractions maintenance activities on any and all equipment assigned.
Other Duties & Responsibilities
• May be assigned to provide work direction/leadership to seasonal associates.
• Provides support and assistance, as directed, to any and all activities related to special events such as Wildlights and Zoofari.
• Monitors buildings, attractions and environment for potential problems, reports them to supervisor, and recommends solutions.
• Participates in maintenance and repair activities for all facility buildings, rides, attractions and environments as directed.
• Shovels snow from walks and driveways and parking lots. Spreads salt on public passage ways to prevent ice buildup.
• Assures safety of self, staff and guests through regular participation in safety training and activities; compliance with standard operating procedures; and, proper attractions operation and maintenance of equipment.
• May work frequently with hazardous chemicals, including hydrochloric acid and liquid chlorine
• Attends daily/weekly meetings as required
• May assist other Facilities personnel when required.
• Participates in cross-training activities as directed.
• Constantly strives to further the mission of the organization and avidly supports the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium, Zoombezi Bay, Safari Golf Club and The Wilds.
• Implements sustainable practices in daily tasks whenever possible.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Skills & Experience
Knowledge & Skills
• Ability to communicate well both verbally and in writing required.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings, weekends and holidays required.
• Ability to plan and organize work in an efficient and cost-effective manner and without direct supervision required.
• Ability to provide excellent guest service by positively interacting with guests and upholding the Make it G.R.E.A.T. standards required.
• Ability to develop and maintain cooperative working relationships with all Zoo team members and contacts regarding company business required.
• Ability to adhere to standard operating procedures including but not limited to safety protocols required.
• Proof of negative TB screening prior to placement and annually thereafter required.
• Possession of a valid Ohio motor vehicle operator’s license and a good driving record required, as well as ability to operate standard shift vehicles required.
• Ability to adhere to the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium’s drug-free workplace policy including but not limited to pre-employment, random, post-accident, reasonable suspicion and follow-up treatment required.
• Ability to successfully complete a criminal history background check annually required.
Education & Experience
• High school diploma or equivalent required.
• Minimum of six months experience in maintenance work preferred.
• Technical school (2 year degree) in related field preferred.
Fine Manipulation: Frequently