Water Quality Assistant
Demonstrate excellent representation of the aquarium at all times through a positive, can-do attitude, and teamwork focused work ethic.
Working as a Water Quality Assistant, you will be conducting the day-to-day testing of Mystic Aquarium’s aquatic habitats and assist curatorial staff, veterinarians, and husbandry staff with maintaining optimal water quality.
Functions & Responsibilities
- Collect water samples and analyze using current and proven laboratory techniques and record the results. Monitor levels of various parameters and analytes including pH, salinity, conductivity, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, chlorine, copper, phosphates, total alkalinity, calcium hardness, and magnesium.
- Ensure compliance with State and Federal water quality and discharge testing and reporting requirements.
- Communicate results with Water Quality Manager to make sure that all water quality parameters are always meeting, or exceeding AZA, USDA, and Mystic Aquarium standards.
- Communicate any deviations in water quality to manager.
- Ensure the highest level of hygiene in the laboratory by thoroughly cleaning and disinfecting all benchtops and laboratory equipment immediately after use and storing items in their appropriate locations.
- Follow all quality assurance procedures as noted in the Quality Assurance Plan.
- Take inventory and check for expired reagents or chemicals.
- Maintain laboratory environment and its data, ensure digital and hard copy files are up to date.
- Perform microbiological examination of exhibits, testing enterococcus, total and fecal coliforms to ensure compliance.
- Arrive for shift on time and ready to work.
- Be available to work overtime if required.
- Other duties as assigned.