Aquarium Facilities & Operations Manager
The Aquarium Facilities & Operations Manager position is a hands-on working manager and will oversee all aspects of aquarium life support systems and related components and supervise staff responsible for the daily operation; automated controls and monitoring equipment; and related maintenance and repair. Develop and implement aquarium life support, logs and water quality standards and procedures in accordance with industry best practices, safety protocols, standards and guidelines established by Maui Ocean Center, governing agencies and regulatory/accrediting bodies. Oversee day-to-day facilities management including, Maintenance, Housekeeping, Landscaping and special projects. Assist as needed other departments. Facilitate special and capital projects from conception to completion. Ensure that guest expectations are exceeded at all times.
Functions & Responsibilities
• Demonstrate knowledge of, and supports Maui Ocean Center’s mission, vision, value statements, standards, policies and procedures, operating instructions, standards, and the code of behavior
• Demonstrate superior customer service, both internal (i.e. co-workers) and external (vendors, guests, customers, etc.)
• Develop, implement and maintain preventative maintenance and renovation programs of the facility
• Creates maintenance policies and procedures that will ensure the facility will comply with the OSHA standards
• Develop and maintain documentation and maintenance SOP’s
• Ensure the Maui Ocean Center is ready for guests and daily operations 365 days a year. Interface with various departments to ensure appropriate safety and service levels are being met daily
• Prepare budgets, monitors costs and assure compliance to the established budget in conjunction with the Chief Financial Officer
• Ensure clear communications and maintain good relationships within and across departments in order to support overall organizational goals
• Regular review of performance, by operational area, comparing results to goals and objectives
• Manage all staff reporting to the position and effectively recruit, train, evaluate, motivate, delegate and monitor their activities
• Liaise with other departments in order to establish and maintain effective and relevant activities and support in relation to the organization’s sales, purchasing, materials management, production and overall operating functions in designated areas
• Use personal judgment and initiative to develop effective and constructive solutions to challenges and obstacles to implement policy and procedures
• Performs other related duties as required and assigned
Other Duties & Responsibilities
• Serves part of the senior leadership team and report on key business and operational activities related to daily key metrics
• Attend internal departmental meetings and external conferences. Work collaboratively with other departments on any special projects
• Create an agile department that responds quickly to our internal customer’s needs
• Actively support and assist departmental managers, supervisors, and coordinator in operational planning, maintaining and exceeding standards for a guest service driven environment, professional development and budgetary controls
• This position directly and indirectly supervises multiple positions within Operations area. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; and addressing complaints and resolving problems. This position requires the ability to interact effectively with employees in order to direct workflow, assess performance, and assign duties
• Optimize and maintain inventory of critical pumps, parts, pipes, pvc+other essential materials
• Provide leadership for the Operations management team members, including planning, training, coaching/mentoring and counseling when needed
• The Aquarium Facilities & Operations Manager must be a team player whose enthusiasm and dedication to Maui Ocean Center is an example for the entire team
• Strong problem solving and group work leadership skills
• Ability to interact with people of all ages and able to work independently and as part of a team
• Effective oral and written communication skills including proper use of communication tools and technologies
• Ability to work flexible hours including evening, holiday and weekend requirements.
• Contract and manage external vendors and their annual contracts
• Establish annual goals and standards of performance for fiscal and programmatic operations relating to Operations (Maintenance, Housekeeping and Projects), and oversee the development of on-going financial and operating/performance reports
Skills & Experience
Knowledge & Skills
• Proven experience managing people and functional areas/departments with the ability to develop and support team members
• Hands on working Manager and Leader able to work both independently and as a team member
• Demonstrated excellence in interpersonal and organizational communication
• Strong electrical background or license preferred
• Excellent organizational skills with the ability to balance and prioritize multiple task and requests and meet deadlines in a professional manner
• Ability to lift minimum 70 lbs.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule, which includes weekends, evenings and/or holidays as needed
• Commitment to the mission of Maui Ocean Center and its core Conservation and Environmental values
Education & Experience
• Bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.) from an accredited four-year college or university; 7-10 years of direct operational experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Minimum of 5+ years supervisory experience
• Minimum 5 + years of operational management and cash control
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills
• Proven leadership skills with an understanding of the importance of team building/development
• Knowledge of Hawaiian marine life preferred
• Strong working knowledge of large pump and life support systems
• AALSO Life Support certified level II preferred
• Exceptional problem solving, decision making and organizational skills
• Demonstrates financial management, merchandising, analytical, planning and leadership skills.
• Demonstrates flexibility and composure in fast-paced environment. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
• Valid Hawaii State Driver’s License Required.
• Strong computer skills with proficiency using Microsoft Office (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
• Knowledge of database systems, research tools and electronic sources available through the internet required
• Ability to lift minimum 70 lbs.