First Class Stationary Engineer
Essential Functions / Position Qualifications:
• Thorough knowledge of the operation, repair and maintenance of low pressure boilers, pumps, generators, HVAC, and other equipment.
• Thorough knowledge of the repair of electrical and mechanical fixtures and equipment.
• Ability to make a variety of skilled mechanical and electrical repairs; ability to read and interpret blueprints and wiring diagrams; ability to maintain routine records and to prepare reports.
• Mechanical aptitude and manual dexterity; initiative and resourcefulness; good physical condition.
• First Class Stationary Engineer License required; City of Buffalo Chief Engineers license is preferable. CFC Universal Certification preferred.
• Understanding of computerized building management systems and digital controls preferred.
• Experience with pumps, filters, chlorinators, ozone generators with regard to large swimming pools or aquatic life support systems desired.
• This position may work both day shifts and/or night shifts. A shift premium differential of one dollar ($1.00) per hour will be added for all hours worked after 6pm.
Functions & Responsibilities
Other Duties & Responsibilities
• Enthusiastic, self-reliant, independent attitude and approach to work. Must be able to multi-task and be a team player.
• Must possess or be able to obtain within 30-days of employment a valid New York State driver’s license and have an average or better driving record based on the evaluation process of our insurance company. Retention of position is contingent upon maintaining required license. Must upgrade to classification appropriate to requirements (non-CDLC or CDL class).
• Provide proof of negative TB test upon hire. TB test conducted annually.
• Must support the Buffalo Zoo’s Vision, Mission and Core Values.
• Successful completion of a post-offer pre-employment general medical screen and drug test.
• Successful completion of a post-offer pre-employment background check.
• Regular attendance and punctuality are essential functions of the position.
• Must be able to work weekdays, weekends, evenings, holidays and requested overtime as necessary.
• Position is part of the Zoo’s emergency weather team and is expected to report when the Zoo is closed due to weather.
Skills & Experience
Education & Experience
Benefits / How to Apply
This is a full-time, union non-exempt hourly position. Hourly rate is $29.49 per hour; in addition to a shift premium differential of one dollar ($1.00) per hour for all hours worked after 6pm. Some of the benefits available include health plan, HSA/HRA, life insurance, long term disability, dental, vision, pension plan, annual leave time, holiday time, and sick time benefits. Most benefits are available after the successful completion of an introductory probationary period review at 60 days of work. Sick time benefits are available upon hire.
For more information about the Buffalo Zoo, please visit our website at: http://www.buffalozoo.org
The Buffalo Zoo is an At Will employer and all Buffalo Zoo employees are subject to employment eligibility and background security checks as well as testing for illegal substance use as allowed by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer
• Able and willing to perform sustained work of a physical nature that may require heavy lifting.
• A fitness for duty test will be required in order for the successful candidate to be given further consideration for the position.
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear. Use computer hardware and software for extended periods of time (repetitive motion). Sitting for long periods of time. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.