Life Support Systems Technician
Reid Park Zoological Society is seeking a Life Support Systems Technician. Two years’ progressive experience in LSS preferred.
The Society is a 501(c) (3) nonprofit organization whose mission is to create inspiring memories for all by connecting people and animals to ensure the protection of wild animals and wild places. We provide educational and fun experiences for visitors of all ages. Reid Park Zoo is the largest attended cultural attraction in Southern Arizona with approximately 500,000 visitors annually. Be a part of a vibrant, growing organization as Reid Park Zoo implements an exciting master plan that will be investing over $60M in new exhibits over the next ten years.
Functions & Responsibilities
Operates and maintains the zoo’s aquatic life support systems. Also coordinates with the animal management and maintenance personnel for the routine maintenance of the systems to ensure a healthy environment for the animals. Additionally, repairs of water features throughout the zoo.
Other Duties & Responsibilities
• Clean, operate and maintain the zoo’s water features and aquatic environments and related mechanical equipment. Animal habitats with aquatic systems include but not limited to: small to medium sized fish, otters, grizzly and sloth bears, elephants, flamingos, tigers, jaguar, alligator and others may be added.
• Coordinate with animal care staff on access to exhibits, work orders, and special requirements/restrictions due to animal health and safety concerns.
• Coordinates LSS activities and water quality parameters with the animal care staff to establish and maintain an environment conducive to the health and well-being of the animal collection. Communicates any water quality concerns.
• Perform chemical level tests and maintain records of results, add necessary chemicals to maintain water quality and calibrate test equipment.
• Maintain records for water quality per the Association of Zoo’s and Aquariums and also documentation of repairs and PMs on all related equipment.
• Operate, clean and monitor condition of heating boilers and related systems, air conditioning equipment, electrical panels, electrical timing-controls, motors and pumps.
Skills & Experience
Knowledge & Skills
• High School, technical school; two years’ progressive experience in the assigned trade area.
• Has AALSO certification or willing to gain certification.
• Basic knowledge of pool maintenance and water sanitation methods and techniques, including skill in disinfecting plant facilities, filtering, back-washing and alkalizing required.
• Experience with maintaining daily records of water quality as it relates to animal welfare.
• Experience with Microsoft Office required.
• Knowledge of heating boilers and their operation, and the operation and maintenance of heating and air-condition equipment, electrical panes, electrical timing-controls, motors and pumps is required.
• Valid and Unrestricted Class D – Driver’s License
• Confined Space Entry permit preferred
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
• Employee should be assertive, energetic, and enjoy working in a fast-paced environment.
• Ability to take direction and be quick to act or change direction as needed.
• Reliable and able to work to a schedule.
• Employee should be able to lift, move and carry (up to 50+ lbs. on occasion), must be comfortable walking and standing for long periods of time.
• Regular physical attendance at work.
• Must be able to work flexible work schedule including evenings and weekends.
Education & Experience
High school/ GED
Ability to lift or move up to 50lbs.
Employee is expected to work outside and must be comfortable working in either cold or hot weather conditions.
Must be comfortable walking and standing for long periods of time.